In last Weeks article we covered: What Can You Use Coconut Oil for Besides Cooking?
This week I want to cover using Coconut Oil on my pets. Now, I am NOT a Vet, so I am going to put forth my disclaimer right here. This post is based on what I have used coconut oil for on my pets. If you have any doubts, contact YOUR Vet!
Way to use Coconut Oil on dogs.
- Add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoonful to their food. Just as us humans, what I have found is that it helps with their digestion, their coat seems to be healthier and it seems to keep their immune system up. Also seems to help with their breath.
- Apply to their paws if the are rough.
- Put a dab on a q-tip to clean the ears.
- Apply to cuts, scrapes sores for faster healing and to soothe it.
- Apply to itchy spots.
- Apply to bug bites.
- Mix with lemon juice and apply to coat to help as insect repellent.
- Apply after a bath to help with dry skin. Best if massaged into skin.
- Apply to hot spots on skin for relief.
These are just some of the ways I have used coconut oil with my dogs.
***When buying coconut oil, always look for organic, pure, unrefined cold pressed coconut oil.
***When you scoop the coconut oil out, it will most likely be a solid, unless it has heated up to above melting (normally around 76 degrees).
I do not have cats, so if you have a cat and have used coconut oil with you cat, please let us know by leaving a comment below.
Have you used coconut oil on your pets? Are there any little tips you can share with us? Let us know in the comments below!